Tuesday, 11 November 2008

What am I up to?

I am busy writng at the current time for a number of sources. I have a number of posts up on the SANS Forensic blog and I have another later this week.

I am preparing a presentation around the paper I have published for ICISS08. I am presenting the paper:
Overwriting Hard Drive Data: The Great Wiping Controversy
by Craig Wright, Dave Kleiman and Shyaam Sundhar R.S..

I am also preparing a preliminary presentation that I shall be making on this topic at CSU next week. I am presenting this as a lecture to the post-graduate computer science students at Charles Stuart University. I shall be discussing the format of the new Masters degree in Digital Forensics at this time, so I should be able to offer some more concrete information to those prospective students who have been waiting this.

I am completing my section of the book, "CISCO ROUTER AND SWITCH FORENSICS". I am a little behind on the section on collecting volitile data from routes, but will have this complete tomorrow.

Added to this, I am completing the final draft for the legal and ethics chapter of "Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP(R)-ISSMP(R) CBK ((Isc)2 Press)"

Next is White Hat. This is an innovative security focused summit aimed are correcting the issues, not just finding them. This will be in the USA and UK and we are looking at starting it here in Australia in 2010.

MISTI - IT Security World
On top of this, I am preparing my paper for MISTI new year (IT Security World 2009). I have a couple presentations at this conference:

H7 SaaS: Gaining On-Demand Application Benefits and Better Security
Dr. Craig Wright, Manager of Information Systems, BDO Kendalls
Date: Tuesday, 10 March 2009Time: 3:45pm - 5pmTrack: Application Security
• The deep potential of SaaS security solutions • Economic factors that now favor SaaS: maximizing low acquistion cost of SaaS and other cost benefits• How virtualization makes SaaS easy – what about security?• Utilizing SOA and SaaS together for better results • Key security considerations for adapting to SaaS model

AND

F8 Effective Patch Management: Saving Time and Getting Better Security
Dr. Craig Wright, Manager, Information Systems, BDO Kendalls
Date: Wednesday, 11 March 2009Time: 9:45am - 11:15am
• How to update your current patch management framework• Methods hackers use to exploit unpatched systems to obtain access to protected networks and sensitive information• Can you rely upon automation and system integration?• Tips for staying on top of the patches

Finally, I have a few new research topics that I shall be preparing to turn into papers. My team has already started on one based on network graph analysis for chat and log analysis to be published next year. On top of this I shall be publishing a paper with Dave Kleiman.

I am also working on my GCUX Gold paper for GIAC. This is the GIAC Certified UNIX Security Administrator (GCUX) certification paper.

Title 100 Unix Commands
Abstract 100 UNIX commands to issue on other people's systems. This paper will analyse and present the top 100 commands in Unix/Linux that an attacker (and most crucially, a security tester) can use. These will range from commands to gain access to a system or extend access, to altering logs and other files (including the kernel) and to monitoring what is going on. The paper will also provide scripting techniques and examples based on these commands to provide the basics needed by any budding *NIX security professional.

This is due by early Jan 2009.

This ia only a sample of what I am up to... So, I am a little slow when replying at the moment.

No comments: